Englewood

For many years, Englewood was a small and isolated crossroads village about eight miles south of downtown Chicago. Between 1900 and 1930, however, as the farmlands to the south and west of 63rd and Halsted Streets gave way to residential development, Englewood emerged as one of the largest and most popular of Chicago’s many outlying business districts. Frequent streetcar, elevated, and interurban service helped make the district a convenient and desirable destination, whether to shop or catch the latest movie. During peak shopping periods, the streets and sidewalks of Englewood were almost as congested as those downtown.


Department Stores

 

Theaters

 

Other Information

 


Advertisements