Belmont Theater


1635 West Belmont Avenue
Built 1925
Architect: W.W. Ahlschlager

The Belmont Theater was one of the North Side’s largest movie palaces. Located in the heart of the busy Lincoln-Belmont shopping district, the Belmont attracted housewives by day and couples by night to its motion picture presentations. The theater opened in 1925 and could seat audiences of up to 3,300 persons.

In later years, part of the theater was converted for use as a bowling alley. Then, in 1996, the Belmont was demolished to make way for a condominium complex. The elegant terra cotta facade, however, was preserved.


Internet Resources
Photograph: “Women sitting in a car in front of the Belmont Theater,” 1927 [Library of Congress]
Photograph: “Women sitting in a car in front of the Belmont Theater,” 1927 [Library of Congress]